Friday, August 10, 2012

Prayer for My Children

A long time ago my mother gave me a little typed and copied slip of paper with a list of 31 things to pray about, one for each day of the month.  I don't remember where she got or even if she told me where she got it.  I remember that she put it on my frig in the house we lived in then and told me to pick the date of the month and pray that day for that thing for my kids.  I have said these prayers for my children ever since that day.  That was over 15 years ago.  I wouldn't want you to think I hadn't missed a day because I certainly have.  I have missed whole weeks and maybe even whole months when I didn't say these prayers for my boys but I have uttered one of these prayers most days of the years that this little slip of paper has been hanging on my frig.  They are simple little prayers, just a sentence long.  Each one is supported by scriptures.  It has amazed me through the years how often the prayer of the day has been just the right prayer for that day.  Lots of times I would pray these prayers will fixing supper.  Many times I would find out that the prayer was needed that day because of something one of the boys would share at supper that very evening.  This happened so many times it couldn't have been a "coincidence"!  I thought that today I would share this list of prayers with you all.  If you have kids you can't do better than to pray for them.


1.   Pray that they will grow as Jesus did.  (Luke 2:52)
2.   Pray that they will truly love the Lord.  (Mark 12:30, I Peter 1:8)
3.   Pray that they will accept Christ early in life.  (2 Tim. 3:15)
4.   Pray that they will offer themselves as living sacrifices. (Romans 12:1)
5.   Pray that they will be disciplined and pure. (1 Cor. 9:27, Phil. 4:8)
6.   Pray that they will be lead by the Holy Spirit. (Eph. 5:18, Gal. 5:22-23)
7.   Pray that their lives will bring glory to God.  (Matt. 5:16, 1 Cor. 6:20)
8.   Pray that they will deny themselves for the Lord.  (Mark 8:34, Phil. 1:21)
9.   Pray that they will love and obey God's Word.  (Psalms 199:97, 2 Tim 3:16)
10. Pray that they will devote themselves to prayer.  (Col. 4:2)
11. Pray that they will live lives of worship and praise.  (Phil. 4:4, Psalms 37:4)
12. Pray that they will love and be faithful to Christ's Church.  (Eph. 3:10)
13. Pray that they will be set apart for the Lord's service.  (2 Tim 2:21)
14. Pray that they will have a hatred for sin.  (Psalms 97:10, Romans 12:9)
15. Pray that they will not love the world.  (1 John 2:15, Romans 12:2, Titus 2:11)
16. Pray that they will choose friends properly.  (Psalms 119:63, Prov. 13:20)
17. Pray that they will turn to God in repentance.  (1 John 1:9, Psalms51:17)
18. Pray that they will be willing to change.  (1 John 1:9, Psalms 51:17)
19. Pray that they will resist the devil and submit to God.  (James 4:7)
20. Pray that they will seek God's will.  (Psalms 37:4, Proverbs 3:5, Romans 12:1)
21. Pray that they will marry the right person.  (2 Cor. 6:14)
22. Pray that they will remain pure before marriage.  (1 Cor. 6:18)
23. Pray that they will not become materialistic.  (Matt. 6:19, 1 Tim. 6:6)
24. Pray that they will value diligence and hard work.  (Eccl. 9:10. 1 Thes. 4:11)
25. Pray that they will know that they are loved.  (Matt. 19:14, Romans 5:8, Psalms 127:3)
26. Pray that they will be truly humble.  (Romans 12:3, James 4:10, Mark 10:44)
27. Pray that they will respect those in authority.  (Eph. 6:1, Romans 13:1)
28. Pray that they will love others and do good to them.  (Mark 12:31, Eph. 5:2)
29. Pray that they will be Godly examples to others.  (Prov. 20:11, Romans 12:17)
30. Pray that they will lead other to Christ.  (James 5:20, Matt. 28:19)
31. Pray that they will remain faithful throughout life.  (Gal. 6:9, Rev. 2:10)

As you can see it is a pretty inclusive list, everything from repentance and acceptance of Jesus to marrying the right person and leading others to Christ.

I told you that I would post somethings that I felt like hubby and I had done right in the parenting realm and I think praying these prayers for my boys was one of them.  I hope you find them as helpful as I have.

May the Lord bless you as you parent your babies.

For the Lover of your soul and mine,

Laurie Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment