Thursday, August 9, 2012

Loving Up on my Teenage Son!

I have discovered a way to let DS#5 know how much I think about him and love him.  He really enjoys cute little surprises!  He likes little notes taped to his steering wheel and little treats left for him in his locker or on his pillow.  So  I have searched the internet, especially Pintrest (I LOVE pintrest!!) for creative little treats and other little ways to surprise him and love up on him.  Tomorrow he starts his senior year of high school!  And tomorrow he has a football controlled scrimmage.  He is the starting center (Ladies, that's the guy that hikes the football back to the quarterback.) and he's really good at it.  And on defense he is the nose guard (that's the guy across from the center on defense).  He's pretty darn good at this position too. He's just kind of a big deal in football.  And he's just a big guy, 6'2" and 240 lbs!  (And I swear at least one of those tree trunk legs of his is hollow!) But for all his bigness the little boy on the inside still gets tickled at a treat from his momma.  Tomorrow I will leave him a Reese's BIG cup in his car with a cute little note saying "You're kind of a big deal!"  Cleaver, huh?! :) Not original to me but I can't remember where I saw it so I'm sorry if I'm not crediting someone out there with the original idea.  Anyway, I will put this in his car tonight and know that he will find it in the morning.  It will make him smile and remind him that I think he's a really special, special young man.

If you want to find some of these ideas a really good place to look is www.thedatingdivas.com.  I've mentioned this site before but it bears mentioning again.  There are scads of cutesy-tootsey little ideas.  Many have free printables too.  Check them out!  These chickas are soooo creative!  While most of their ideas are meant for your hubby there are plenty of them that are easily adapted and used for your kiddos.  One that I found there was the framed "I love you because..."  You put that saying under the glass and then change out the reasons that you love them every so often by writing on the glass with a dry erase marker or a sharpie.  Both can be easily removed with a few drops of alcohol.  I made one of these for DS#5.  I'm not as good at keeping it updated as I should be but I think he appreciates it.  He's kind of quiet so it's hard to tell sometimes!  I plan to to this for hubby and DS#4 too but neither of them needed reassurance from me as much as DS#5 so he got the first one.

I would love to include a pic of these ideas but I'm kind of techno-illiterate.  I need help!  Maybe I'll get it figured out and can add them later.  Sorry!

When you are feeling like a gulf is developing between you and your teen leaving a little note or sweet surprise might be a good way to remind them of your love.

And if you have any ideas for ways to build a child's self-esteem or bridge the gulf that sometimes develops between parents and kids, please leave me a comment!  I would love to hear from you!

For the Lover of my soul and yours,

Laurie Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment