Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sorta Home-made Fried Doughnuts

DS5 is an early riser.  In fact, truly he just doesn't sleep well and so he is up early sometimes because he has barely slept but what that means for me is that sometimes I like to treat him to breakfast.  It doesn't happen very often.  Although I like to get up early these days, a change from my younger years!! I don't often like to cook early in the day, messes up the kitchen... Boo for messes... And due to wrestling, science fairs, and his job we haven't had any Saturdays for quite awhile.  I DO NOT cook breakfast on school days.  That's what Pop Tarts are for!  Anyway the other day I wanted to fix him  breakfast so I tried a quick treat.    He has a sweet tooth so I knew he would love these little gems.  By the way hubs and DS4 loves them too.



Fried Doughnuts

simple canned refrigerator doughnuts, as many as you think your crew will eat.

Enough vegetable oil to fill a frying pan about 3/4 inch

Powdered sugar, 1/2 cup or more

Milk, 1-2 Tablespoons

Mix powdered sugar and milk to make a glaze for the doughnuts.

Heat oil to a medium high.  I didn't use a thermometer.... no clue how hot it got...

Poke a hole in each biscuit.  Just use your finger.  Stretch the hole in the biscuit a bit.

Carefully lay the biscuits in the hot oil.  It only takes a minute so watch them carefully and turn them when they brown on one side.

Drain the doughnuts on paper towels.

When the doughnuts have drained for a bit dip them in the glaze, turn and dip the other side and place on a cooling rack.  Eat them as soon as you can!! because they wont last long!!

Just a little side note: All of the ingredients of this breakfast treat were purchased using coupons.  I used them in conjunction with sales to get the biggest bang for my buck.  In total I doubt this treat for DS5 cost a more than 75 cents for 10 doughnuts!  No that's a bargain.  I have included a link to The Grocery Game web site for your perusal.  If you decide to try it out use me as a referral, I'll appreciate it!!

http://www.TheGroceryGame.com/ref/32-tweZ/

Loving Jesus, my family and all of you,

Laurie Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment